Thursday, June 9, 2011

Improper Imbalance

There is nothing new about this. It's been happening for a while....maybe since the time of the creation of Egyptian pyramids. The poor earn nothing, and do the most work. The rich earn the most, and do the least physical work.

Hand Pressing Dollar  Button
by tungphoto
At the top of the food chain, the empire, the king, the CEO, all delegate tasks while sitting on their thrones, within their chambers, or out on a yacht. A basketball player earns millions for playing ball, and has someone massage him, feed him water, and wipe the sweat off his forehead. A burger flipper earns barely enough to stay alive, but they help to feed millions a day surrounded by a flaming heat and greasy air.

It was a realization after I got my job and started looking around at estimates for annual salaries. Compared to my engineering friends I will always make less than one-third their annual salary. And the ones I know sit online all day and chat. Ugh! The part time job I had paid more than I'll earn as an entry-level reporter. Craziness. But I love writing more than my former job, so I am not going to complain. It's just an annoying realization.

No comments:

Post a Comment